By: Staff –
St. Vincent has shared a brand new cover of the Nine Inch Nails classic “Piggy” as part of The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame honouring of 2020’s new class of inductees. Check out the track here.
The series pays tribute to the enduring legacies of musical legends like Depeche Mode, Doobie Brothers, Whitney Houston, Nine Inch Nails, The Notorious B.I.G., and T. Rex. To honour their historic induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Amazon Music has brought together an all-star collection of musicians, including Real Estate, The Kills, Jehnny Beth, and Eyelids to cover the inductees’ most iconic songs. In addition, Amazon Music is making additional content available honouring the works of The Notorious B.I.G. and Whitney Houston.
The full collection of songs can be heard here, and include:
- Indie rock veterans, Real Estate, deliver a smooth, impressive take of Doobie Brothers’ classic hit, What a Fool Believes.
- The Kills deliver a stirring rework of T. Rex’s Electric Warrior anthem, Cosmic Dancer.
- Multitalented musician, actor, and frontwoman of Savages, Jehnny Beth, takes on Nine Inch Nails’ career-defining hit, Closer.
- Portland’s indie rock supergroup, Eyelids, cover Depeche Mode’s Violator standout Enjoy the Silence.
- To honour Notorious B.I.G., Amazon Music has re-released The Birth of Biggie, an audio-documentary celebrating Ready To Die, the landmark debut album from the Brooklyn rapper.
- To honour Whitney Houston, R&B legend Brandy will release a brand-new cover of a Whitney Houston song in 2021.
“Piggy remains one of my favourite Nails songs to this day,” said St. Vincent of her Nine Inch Nails cover. “I am obsessed with the slinky tambourine that is just a little lazy in feel. And when I took this song apart to cover it, it took me a long time to really understand the immensity of the groove. It’s a dark, industrial reggae. Muscular, but never as distorted as you imagined it when you think of it in your head… They made a complicated thing seem easy and made big, bold sonic choices.”